Skip to content

Ownership History

The house has changed ownership, structure, and purpose often since its construction in 1685. After the Olmsteds sold the property in 1866, the house served as a home to many families, as a boarding house, and as a resort. The last private owners of the house were naturalist and educator Carlton Beil and his wife, Louise, who purchased the house in 1955.

  • Dominie Petrus Tesschenmaker (1685–1696)
  • Jacques Poillon (1696–1720)
  • John Poillon (1720–1733)
  • John Poillon, Jr. (1733–1802)
  • John and Patience Journeay (c. 1802–1812)
  • John and Martha Garretson (1812–1839)
  • Samuel Akerly (1839–1848)
  • Frederick Law Olmsted (1848–1855)
  • John H. Olmsted (1855–1866)
  • William Anderson (1866–1883)–property divided
  • Erastus and Eleanor Anne Wiman (1883– c. 1903)–property divided
  • Seaside Estates Co, John Hale(1903–1946)
  • John E. and Margaret B. Cullen (1946–1955)
  • Louis C. Sirkus (1955–1961)–property divided
  • Carlton and Louise Beil (1961–2006)
  • NYC Department of Parks & Recreation (2006-present)
Frederick Law Olmsted c. 1850
Frederick Law Olmsted, c. 1850.
Photo: Yosemite Research Library
Carlton Beil, 1994. Staten Island Advance Photo: Steve Zaffarano
Carlton Beil, 1994. Staten Island Advance/Steve Zaffarano